Here are 5 things I didn't know about blueberries:
- Native Americans called them "star berries" because of their five point blossoms, they look like little crowns to me.
- Early colonialists used to boil blueberries in milk to make gray paint, can you believe that? I'd rather leave the walls bare and eat the berries.
- They are full of antioxidants that improve eyesight and memory. They also help protect you from heart disease, Alzheimer's and cancer.
- The annual harvest of North American blueberries, spread in a single layer, would cover a 4 lane highway from Chicago all the way to New York.
- Blueberry Jelly Belly jelly beans were created especially for Ronald Reagan, how cool is that? He loved them so much that Air Force One actually had special holders installed so that the jelly bean jar wouldn't fall over during turbulence.
p.s. Happy Birthday, my lovely LuLu Bear!