I don't know why, but Mardi Gras has always kind of freaked me out a bit.
And what does being fat on a Tuesday have to do with sparkly, feathered masks and flashing strangers for shiny plastic beads?
Upon further investigation, I found some fun facts about this colourful holiday...
- Mardi Gras/Fat Tuesday is so named because it's the day before Lent begins and people indulge a bit before the 40 day fast.
- The beads thrown from the parade floats used to be made from glass but were replaced by plastic ones because well, broken glass hurts.
- The colours Purple, Gold and Green that are synonymous with Mardi Gras stand for Justice, Power and Faith, respectively.
- Some people in New Orleans apparently refer to the day afterward as [Tr]Ash Wednesday because of the garbage left behind once all the drunken reveling is over.
- And finally, my favourite one- Pancakes are the traditional food of Mardi Gras : )